Thursday, May 13, 2010

Life's Little Instructions

Some years ago I received a gift titled Life's Little Instructions. The piece was done in calligraphy, matted and ready for framing. I never did have it framed, but it has moved around in my home, propped up and resting on the back of a dresser or chest. Following are a few of the "instructions", I'm sure you could add a few.

Treat everyone you meet like you want to be treated.
Never refuse homemade brownies.
Compliment three people everyday.
Leave everything a little better than you found it.
Be forgiving of yourself and others.
Say "thank you" a lot.
Remember other people's birthdays.
Sing in a choir.
Wave at kids on school buses.
Don't expect life to be fair.
Marry only for love.
Count your Blessings.


I promised you more TVP recipes - here is one I make often.

TVP Meatballs

1/2 cup TVP
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1 egg ( I use egg substitute such as Egg Beaters)
2 cloves garlic minced
1 small onion chopped
2 Tablespoons Italian Seasoning
Salt and Pepper to taste

Reconstitute TVP in 1/2 cup hot water or broth - let stand about 15 minutes
Dice onion and mince garlic. Add to a bowl and mix with TVP, ground beef, breadcrumbs and remaining ingredients. You can also add a little ground flax seed (for the fiber) and nutritional yeast to the mixture. We will discuss both in a future post. You may also add a little grated parmesan cheese to the mixture. Be creative!

I form into meatballs and bake on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes. These can be used with your favorite sauce or gravy.

These also freeze very well after baking and cooling. Great to have on hand!

Let me know if you try these, I would love to know what you think.


Here comes the sun!



Our weather forecaster delivered on their promise of sunshine today! My dog was as thrilled as I was to see the return of
Mr. Sun.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father . . . who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:17


I enjoy giving gifts, small unexpected gifts, some craft I made, some cookies from a new recipe I've tried, a book that I read and enjoyed, the possibilities are endless. How about you? Random acts of kindness or just cheering a good friends day have a way of cheering you even more. Who will you give a gift to and what will it be, don't forget family - I really love surprising my grandchildren with unexpected gifts. Give it a try!


I am so hungry for raspberries - fresh off the bush raspberries. It won't be long. Here is a great recipe that is not healthy, but very good and could be used for those unexpected gifts to family and friends.




Raspberry Chocolate Spread

5 cups raspberries, crushed
6 - 7 cups sugar
1 box fruit pectin
5 - 6 squares unsweetened chocolate
1/2 teaspoon butter

Measure berries into a large saucepan. Stir pectin into the fruit. Add chocolate and butter. Bring to a boil and stir constantly. Quickly stir in all the sugar. Return mixture to a full rolling boil for exactly one minute, all the while stirring constantly. Remove the pan from the heat and skim off any foam. Ladle the mixture into clean, hot jars. I keep the jars standing in hot water in the sink or basin. Cover the jars with lids and screw on the rings, don't overtighten. Process the sealed jars in a hot water bath for 10 minutes. Remove them from the canner and let cool at room temperature. Yield is approximately 9 cups. Dress up the jars with a fabric topper, a pretty bow, or both! I would love to receive a gift like this.



I leave you today with a quote - I receive daily quotes from
http://www.AllAboutGratitude.com
the quote today is:
"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to
count our blessings."

Thank you Paul for letting me use your thought of the day!

Count your blessings today - and if you have someone that is a blessing to you, let them know and remember to thank God.

I am heading outside, the sun is shining and the weeds are calling. Until tomorrow!

God's Richest Blessings on your Day!!!

Gail










2 comments:

  1. Just beautiful Gail! You are going to bless so many. I will be telling ladies about you tomorrow. I love your blog! Your encouragement and recipes are going to be so much fun for ladies.

    I love your raspberries!!!!!!!! They are one of my favorite berries. I have a few plants, but they haven't done much. Do you grow your own. Up north they do so much better.

    If you post a comment on my blog, ladies will start seeing you and start coming and visiting you on yours. Everyone likes to visit one another's blogs.

    Thank you for blessing my day.

    Did you see my post today? It was fun.

    Blessings, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read through your recipe for the Raspberry Chocolate spread today - sounds yummy! Do you think it would work with blackberries? I am going to have to try that when we get back to the farm.
    Margo

    ReplyDelete