Thursday, May 13, 2010

Rain, Rain, Go Away


. . . but then I thought, no, I don't want the rain to go away

"I will send you rain in its season, and the ground will yield its crops and trees of the field their fruit" Leviticus 26:4

I woke again this morning to a dreary, rainy, damp day. It has been this way for a week. I really need some sunshine that I know will come. So today I will be content to be inside and work on some projects that I certainly will not have time for once the sun is shining and the temperatures are warmer.

TVP - Textured Vegetable Protein

You are either saying, what is that?, or I use it all the time. I have been using TVP for about 4 months, and I want to tell you a little bit about it.

What is TVP - Textured vegetable protein, TVP for short, is a high protein, high-fiber, meat substitute made from soy flour and available in a variety of flavored and unflavored varieties, as well as different sizes, from large chunks to small flakes.



TVP Granules



Though the data may be difficult to read - TVP has no fat, no cholesterol and 6 net carbs per 1/2 cup. It also contains 23 grams of protein. TVP takes on the flavor of whatever you add to it.

There are a bounty of recipes available on the internet for using TVP. Because I am watching my cholesterol intake I like to use TVP with ground beef, ground turkey and ground pork to name a few. I also watch my carb intake because I am diabetic.

I started using TVP by mixing it with lean ground beef. Using 1/2 cup of TVP granules, I rehydrated it with 1/2 cup chicken broth. You could use vegetable or beef broth. I heated the broth in the microwave, then added to the TVP and let it sit for about 15 minutes to rehydrate the TVP. I then added 1 pound of lean ground beef and mixed thoroughly. To this I added chopped onions, garlic powder, grated carrots and any other spices/flavorings you would like. Be creative. Refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour, form patties, and cook. These are wonderful on the grill, if making on the stove top add a small amount of canola oil to the pan, they are very lean. Just think of the cholesterol you have cut out by extending the ground beef, and honestly I don't know the difference. Over time I increased the amount of TVP I added to the pound of ground beef.

I will be adding more TVP recipes that I have enjoyed in the next few days.

TVP can be found in the Health Food Section of most grocery stores. Locally I find it near the flour - so check that aisle too.

God's Blessings on your day,

Gail




1 comment:

  1. Gail -
    Great info! I love TVP - I am sure you are aware that you can get it in 'shapes' to use in chicken recipes, or meat recipes, etc. It is a great way for vegetarians to get protein (or anyone for that matter!)

    Thanks for sharing!

    Be Well.
    Paul.
    www.AllAboutGratitude.com

    ReplyDelete